A bit of geography
The groups hometown is Burgh-Haamstede. Burgh-Haamstede is situated on the western point of the island of Schouwen-Duiveland in the province of Zeeland. Zeeland is found in the southwestern part of The Nederlands. Burgh-Haamstede is about 80 kilometers from Rotterdam.
The most nearby major airports are at Amsterdam and Brussels (Belgium). The most nearby train station is in Middelburg. Car ferries sail from the UK to Rotterdam and Zeebrugge (Belgium).
What is Scouting?
Scouting is a pleasant free time movement witch contributes to the formation of the personality. In the Netherlands there are about 90,000 youth members and 30,000 leaders and board members spread over 1,300 groups. Worldwide there are about 32 million Scout members. The patroness of Scouting in the Netherlands is Her Majesty Queen Máxima
The Kaninefaten Scoutsgroup
One of those 1,300 Scout groups is the Kaninefaten Scouts group. We are a land-scouts group for Burgh-Haamstede and the surrounding villages. The group has four different age groups: Welpen, Scouts, Explo's and Stam. More information about each age group is found by clicking this link.
What are Kaninefaten???
The group is named after the Germanic tribe Cananefates which populated the Dutch coastal areas around A.D. It was an equestrian tribe of which the Dutch names means Rabbit Catchers, freely translated. More about Cananefates is found on Wikipedia.
The first mentioning of our scouts group is
on 15th March 1947 when local newspaper Zierikzeesche Nieuwsbode
writes about the founding of a section of the Dutch Scouting in
our village. One month later both the Zierikzeesche
Nieuwsbode and provincial paper PZC write about the installation
of Rev. Enklaar of the church of Burgh as scoutmaster on 19th
April 1947 on the playground of the public primary school of
Haamstede. Both papers also mention our name Kaninefaten for the
first time. The group was only for boys. In 1948 a group for
girls was founded, which operated completely independent of the
Kaninefaten. During the years both groups coorperated more and
more and for years already we are a mixed group with an open
A location of our own we didn't have during those first years. Numerous places in the village and even an old German bunker was used for the activities. In 1957 our current clubhouse Weest Paraat was opened. Herefore the owners of the castle op Haamstede gave some land and the councils of Burgh and Haamstede joined forces for the realisation. A local builder did the actuel building. At the end of the 1960s the clubhouse was enlarged to it's current size. The girls had there own clubhouse, which was demolished around 1980.
All activities of the group take place in and around the clubhouse "Weest Paraat". The clubhouse is named after the famous words of Lord Baden Powell: Be Prepared. The clubhouse can be rented by other Scout groups. Click here for more information about the clubhouse.
Know more??? See more???